Thursday, May 16, 2013

In our yard

I've found lots of interesting things in our yard this spring.  I was thrilled a few weeks ago when I found out we had a magnolia tree! I absolutely love the smell of them, and they are so pretty too! We also have a forsythia bush, a lilac bush, and a couple lily of the valley(which just happens to be my favorite flower scent, despite its toxicity). I know that lily of the valley spread, so why we seem to only have about two plants is beyond me. Our lilac bush only has a few flowers, but I will try to prune it(?) and get it to bloom more next year.



We have a few of these plants growing around our yard as well, does anyone know what these are?  


We also have a purple flowering tree in our front yard.  I'm terrible at identifying trees.  Any one know what this one is?  I took a close up picture of the flowers too...



A few weeks ago I noticed a birds nest right outside our side door, on top of the light fixture.  Over the past few days I've been trying to get a picture of this bird, but the second it sees any motion it flies off.  I had a little spare time this morning so I stood very still with my camera ready and I finally got a picture. It took me about 10 minutes of zero motion... have  you ever tried to stand perfectly still holding a camera for 10 minutes?  Its not easy. There were two birds, but they weren't fighting, so I'm guessing I got the mamma and the papa!


3 comments:

Karen said...

The tree is a redbud. Not sure why it's called that since the flowers are purple. :-)

Stephanie said...

Thanks! I did see that the purple flowers are Ajuga.

Bri Herrman said...

Not sure if you were asking what these were, but the little white bells are Lily of the Valley