Sunday, July 22, 2012

Waxing

One of my favorite things about our new house is our parquet floors.  I absolutely love parquet floors.  I am fairly certain these are the original floors, and our house was built in the 40's so the floor is somewhere around 70 years old!  I didn't think about it when we bought the house, but later on we figured out these are waxed floors -as in no protective polyurethane so the floors must get waxed 2+ times per year, more with heavy traffic.  With our 3 kids and dog I'm thinking the high traffic areas might need waxed 4 or 5 times per year.

I've never actually waxed a floor before, but I've heard about it. I've read about it.  And now we've begun the process...


I wasn't sure if you would be able to see the difference, but I think it is quite noticeable.  We've waxed and buffed the top portion up to where the can of wax is sitting.  Shiny! The kids put on socks and skated across the floor and had a blast.

It is really quite simple, but a lot of work.  You rub a thin layer of paste wax on the clean floor with a rag.  Let it dry for 10-15 minutes, and then with a clean towel(or a floor buffer) buff buff buff!  Its the buffing that gets tiring really fast.  I'm thinking a floor buffer might be in our future.  We've finished the room and the front hallway, but we still have two large rooms left and my hands and knees are tired and sore.  Next weekend maybe!

No comments: