Wednesday, October 5, 2011

What I've been up to

Last weekend we had our very first frost.  I decided I had better get busy and get the plants I would like to keep for next year inside; my rosemary, hibiscus tree, and stevia.  The rosemary did great inside all last winter, so we brought that back inside.  It is about double the size it was last year, so I'm thinking that by next winter it might just be too big to bring inside.


I also brought in two basil plants, and we made pesto with the rest of the basil.  Basil really doesn't like to be cold, so I don't think it will last long in our house, but I figure it is worth a try. It was droopy for a couple days, but it appears to be perking up a bit.


This is the first year I've grown stevia, and it didn't do great, but it survived.  I wasn't sure if I should bring it inside or just chop it down and hope it comes back in the spring.  I decided to bring it inside and I am going to try to start a few more plants. I've read mixed reviews about the health benefits/concerns of stevia, but overall I'm really not concerned.  I don't plan to use it as a replacement for sugar, I just think it is really awesome to pull off a leaf and taste the extreme sweetness (Faye loves it too)!

I finished an ABC crewel sampler last week, and framed it on Sunday. It was designed by Alicia Paulson, and you can buy the pattern here. (I started reading her blog years ago, but just recently learned that she used to live on our street!  Its such a crazy world!) Faye asked me to hang it in the playroom so her and Alex can practice the alphabet. She is wonderful playing with Alex and teaching him!


I thought I was doing great stretching the fabric evenly, but as I'm sure you'll notice the 4th line down is really stretched to the right.  I didn't have the time or ambition to redo it, but it will have to be done at some point. Unless I just decide to leave it all wonky.  

After the frost last weekend, we are now having a warm-up, which we are loving!  Alex and I met Andy at the park for lunch yesterday. Alex didn't eat more than a bite of his food, but he really had a good time.


Andy showing Alex how to swing


1 comment:

Maggi said...

I think the crewelwork sampler looks great. I don't even think that the fourth line looks stretched to the right at all.