Monday, October 17, 2011

1st swim lesson

Alex had his very first swim lesson this afternoon.  He was not excited about going, even though he loves swimming.  He has absolutely no fear of the water, which is why I wanted to get him into class as soon as possible after he turned 3.  When I take him swimming, he'll just jump right in and expect me to be there to pull him back out from underneath the water.  Its a little scary - for me anyways. He usually seems to enjoy himself.

The classes at the Y are usually ridiculously small, maybe two or three kids per class.  There is a reason for it, the pool is old and quite disgusting. Next spring they will open the new YMCA in southwest Champaign, and while I look forward to it, I think there will be a huge jump in numbers.

There will only be one other little girl in Alex's class, but she wasn't there this afternoon.  So, yep, it was just Alex.  He was very nervous and didn't want to get in the water. But eventually he did get in, swam around a little on his own, avoiding his swim teacher Emily as much as he could.  She was very patient and followed him around while talking to him.  He kept giving her strange looks, but never did talk to her.


She told me she's been teaching for 11 years(she is a really great teacher so I'm glad we got her) and has never yet met a kid like Alex.  No kidding.  This child is the most stubborn child you can imagine.  Wonder where he gets that from?

Staring down his teacher

No comments: