Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Kale chips

Our kale is still doing well in the garden, even though it has been a really hot summer.  I know there were several recipes I wanted to try with kale that I found over the past winter, but now that we actually have kale, I don't remember what I wanted to do with it.  As I was reading a blog several weeks ago, I came across the idea of kale chips.  It sounded interesting, and I am a huge chip eater. After Faye and I took a raw kale leaf and ate it in the garden, we knew we would have to cook it (she ended up spitting hers out - it was bitter).

Purple Kale
Kale chips are awesome!! I made them a few weeks ago, and I made them again today. Kale is supposed to be one of the best foods you can eat, so making kale into chips probably reduces their nutritional value, but still, kale chips are really good.  I will plant more kale next summer!!

Here is how I made them - just in case you have some kale around and don't know what to do with it. There are plenty of recipes if you do a search for Kale chips - and I never even heard of them before!

Wash a handful of kale and dry it.  Pull pieces of the kale off the stem, there is really no reason to cut it.  The kale does shrink a bit when cooked, so keep that in mind. Discard the crunchy stem.  Put the pieces into a bowl, add about 1-2 tbsp of olive oil, salt to taste(go easy on the salt), and add any other seasonings you like.  We love garlic here, so I added a sprinkle of garlic powder. I've seen recipes that also add Parmesan cheese, but I don't know how that would taste since we don't eat cheese. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Put on a baking sheet and bake until crispy, about 15 minutes.


Kale chips are not the prettiest thing you can eat, but if you like salty snacks they are worth trying! Check out this gorgeous rice bowl which I also got for my birthday(thanks Jadon and Hallie)!



1 comment:

Maggi said...

I made some last summer and they were really good. However, I had so much kale that I ended up throwing some of the chips away.