Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Blueberries

I've heard of Pontious Farm near White Heath several times over the past few years, but have never been there despite it only being 15 miles away.  But after reading this article, I decided I'd better get over there before it was too late. The owners are closing the farm after 40 years. It is a U-pick berry farm, and while it is not certified organic, they don't spray their crops either.  You can sample the berries right there at the farm as you pick them -they even encourage it! There is nothing better than that!

Unfortunately, their last season is not going to be their best season.  The blueberries are taking forever to ripen, and they are really hard to find.  But I did have 3 little helpers!



 I was also smart enough to not let the kids sample any berries until we were almost done picking, otherwise we would have had an empty bucket. Once I told Alex he could try a blueberry, he started eating every single berry he found, which really wasn't that many they were so hard to find or were out of his reach. He'd pretend to put it in the bucket, then pop it in his mouth.  I can't blame him, they were delicious!  

I made a blueberry lemon bundt cake this afternoon so I could try out my new cake platter.  I've been wanting a cake platter with a dome for as long as I can remember, and finally got this one for my birthday(Thanks Mom!).  I waited nearly a week to make another cake, as we have had a lot of cake recently celebrating 3 of our birthdays, but I just couldn't wait any longer. 




No comments: