Thursday, June 30, 2011

Enjoying our garden

I can't even imagine what we would do if we did not have a garden. Our garden is not huge, but we get so much fresh food out of it each summer. It is nice to run outside and see what is available, and then plan a meal around it. We're still waiting on a lot of things this summer, but so far we've had strawberries, salad (more than you can even imagine), spinach, peas, cucumbers, and green beans.

Cucumbers

Here is our spinach. It is spinach red malabar, and it will last throughout the summer. You have to have a trellis or something for it to climb, but other than that it is very simple to grow. It is just getting started now, so it looks a little thin, but in a few more weeks it will cover the trellis!

Spinach and a few more cucumbers

I planted leeks in this corner of the garden, which are a new favorite of mine, but as you can see the dill took over. I should probably pull most of it out before it takes over the entire garden, but I just can't do it. I love walking by and smelling the dill!

Dill
This is our very first year for planting kale (or I guess I should say having success with kale). I tried planting kale last year, but it never came up. We haven't tried any yet, and honestly I really don't know what to do with it, but I'll figure something out.
Kale and some more salad

East garden

West garden

3 comments:

Billie Jo Henson said...

Looking YUMMY as usual.
About the dill...are you going to try to make some of those dill chips we used to drive to IGA for. haha
As for the Kale, I have heard Heidi say she puts that in her fruit smoothies....not sure about that but thought I would share :)

Katrina said...

I LOVE your garden! I'm curious why there's no fence (clearly the veggies are thriving without one!). Do you have no veggie-eating critters about?

Your dill looks great! We got some three years ago and it just reseeds itself (with a vengeance) every year. Love it!

Stephanie said...

We do have a fence all the way around our garden - its just not visible from the pictures. It is a wood picket fence, with chicken wire around the inside and into the ground, to keep out the bunnies. There are a lot of rabbits living nearby. We also get some really obnoxious squirrels that like to tease us by pulling out our plants, but we haven't figured anything out for those yet. I also found a snake in our compost bin - gave me quite a scare!