Friday, May 13, 2011

Lack of blogging and my vintage sofa

Its been crazy busy at our house the past few weeks, so that explains my lack of blogging. Well, that and I just don't have anything interesting to say (did I ever?), and my SD card was not working, so I really couldn't take pictures. It seems that we have something almost every evening now, with swim lessons, girl scouts, boy scouts, appointments, playdates, etc. I'm exhausted and overwhelmed and so far behind on everything, but I'm still running! I thought that after my 5K I wouldn't be very motivated to keep running, but it is just the opposite. I feel even MORE motivated to run. In fact, I decided to take a break the first week after my 5K, but by the 3rd or 4th day I felt like I absolutely HAD TO RUN!

I've been searching for a new sofa almost since we bought our sofa 7 years ago at Slumberland. I never really loved it. From the moment we got it, it seemed like we had issues with it. Especially after a few years, when all the poof was deformed and lopsided and gross. Never again will I own a poofy sofa, but it is really hard to find a non-poofy sofa, at least in our price range. Then I found one on Craigslist. A vintage Henredon sofa, that was reupholstered a year ago. I went to look at it, and loved it. The woman selling it inherited it from a grandmother. It sat in her grandmother's fancy living room, so it was barely ever used. It originally was a white brocade fabric, but she didn't like it so she had it reupholstered a year ago. I couldn't imagine why she was selling it, but she told me she was pregnant and didn't want it to be ruined by a little one. The sofa doesn't photograph well because of the fabric, but it is a very high quality sofa, with down cushions. We don't really know how old the sofa is (20+ years for sure), but we love it!




They were going to deliver it to our house several days after we agreed to buy it, and I kept expecting her to call me and tell me she had changed her mind. Really, I was freaking out. But it is ours, and she also gave me the roll of leftover fabric, just in case. Hopefully we won't need to recover anything anytime soon. The kids are not allowed to even have water near the sofa.

I've been waiting for a reason to buy this fabric, and finally I had it. I only bought enough to make one pillow for our sofa, but I'll be buying more next week to make another or several more. Asian inspired toile de jouy!

1 comment:

Wish I Might said...

Um, AMAZING couch!! Great find!!