Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Crash!!!

Last night Faye was riding her 'new' bike we found on Craigslist, and Alex ran right in front of her and they crashed. I was in the house making dinner, and suddenly heard two kids screaming.  Andy came running in the house with both of them, Alex's face completely covered in blood. Head wounds have so much blood! I know this, but every time (luckily this is rare) I see one of the kids dripping with blood, it really freaks me out!  

We really had no idea where all the blood was coming from at first, but we got him cleaned up and saw that it was his lip.  His tooth went all the way through his lip and through his skin underneath his lip.  He also banged up his teeth on the top, but he was screaming so we really couldn't get a good look to see if any of them were loose.  I called the nurse to see if he needed to come in or go to the ER.  Since his tooth went all the way through and it was on his skin rather than his lip, they said he would probably need stitches and he would have to go to the ER.  Faye ended up with a pretty good scrape on her knee, but luckily was OK otherwise.

At the ER
At the ER, the nurse came in right way and checked on him, and warned me once again he would probably have to have a couple stitches. The doctor ended up not stitching up his lip, but he will be on antibiotics for awhile to make sure he doesn't get an infection.  She said she would normally stitch something like this, which would help prevent infection, but he's so little it would be traumatic for him, and me too, and he'll probably have a scar either way. His teeth on the top seem to be OK, just bruised gums.

This morning
Here's the 'new' bike!  Faye doesn't seem too traumatized by the crash. She was still smiling this morning telling me how much she loves her new bike. It's a vintage Schwinn Bantam. Andy probably knows the year, but I really have no idea.  It might need a little work on the back tire, but otherwise seems to be in good shape!



3 comments:

Karen said...

His father had stitches about his age & it took 6 of us to hold him still, so I know where the nurse is coming from!
Poor Baby!!!

Billie Jo Henson said...

Oh my goodness, how frightening for you all! I am glad he is ok and that Faye still loves her bike! I like that bike, the seat looks comfortable!

mrs. fisher's findings said...

cute bike! great find on CL! sorry to hear about the accident, sounds scary!