Saturday, April 30, 2011

What's next?

I ran my first ever 5K last night in Urbana!


I had butterflies all morning yesterday, which surprised me a little.  I didn't think I would be so nervous about running.  After all, I signed up for the race just for fun and to try something new.  But the thing that was freaking me out was failing.  I set two goals, to finish the 5K, and also to finish in under 30 minutes, so I was nervous I wouldn't make it. But I met both my goals, finishing in 29.25. Race results are here.

Kids waiting at the finish line!
Almost to the finish line!
Honestly I think I could have cut one or two minutes more off my time easily.  I didn't want to over do it and not finish either, so I took it easy the first two miles. When we lined up to race, I started back with the 10 minute mile runners. The first half mile was so crazy, packed with runners, I could barely run.   Is it easier if you start up closer to the front, or only crazier?  I guess having some experience in running with crowds may be helpful.  The last turn into Memorial stadium was very narrow and there were lots of runners, so it was hard to get through there too.  I was expecting the 4,000+ runners, and I've seen races, but it is much different to experience it.

Now that my 5K is over, what's next?  I started running in January, and in these past 4 months I think I only missed 3 days of running that I had scheduled.  But I was very motivated because of this 5K.  I have really enjoyed running, but I know if I don't set another goal, I will not be motivated enough to get out there and run.

3 comments:

Maggi said...

Come to Peoria and run the Steamboat Classic, June 18th. 4 mile race. Extremely flat.
Congrats on your time. My first 5k, I set the goal of being under 30 minutes and came in at 29:35. It feels great to make that goal, especially when you're not really sure how you're going to do.
As for running in the crowd, big races are going to be like that no matter where you are in the line up at the beginning. People really have no idea what their pace is going to be. At Steamboat, there are thousands of runners and some who run a 9:00 pace will line up with the 7:00 pace people. It's all a mess, even if there's a wave start because people will just go where ever.
Great job this weekend. Maybe next year you'll do the 1/2 marathon!

Stephanie said...

Thanks! I saw you did great on the half, and Brad ran the marathon? The wind was crazy Saturday morning! I'm planning on trying either a 10k or half marathon this fall or next spring. I'll see how I do running through the summer - probably the most I'll do this year would be a 10k. The Steamboat classic - I've been thinking I may sign up for that!

Billie Jo Henson said...

Way to go Steph! Good job!