Sunday, March 13, 2011

Happy Vegan

My favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe - Happy Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies!


It is not my recipe, Andy found it on vegweb.org not long after we became vegan. It quickly became a favorite recipe. I make it at least once a week, if not more, and everyone loves the cookies, even non-vegans. It can be easily changed to make cookies the way you like them. I prefer mine a little dryer and crumbly, but sometimes I make them chewy. I've made them so often over the years, I don't think I'll ever forget the recipe. Andy can't believe how quickly I can mix up a batch - I can have them mixed and on the pan ready to go into the oven long before our oven is pre-heated. Give them a try - they are delicious! No eggs in the house - not a problem with this recipe!

2 cups flour*
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup sugar(we use raw or turbinado sugar)
1/2 cup oil, we like canola
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 cup water**
choc. chips(I use Ghiradelli semi-sweet)

Mix the flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Mix in the chocolate chips, however many you like, but if you get too many, the dough won't stick together well ( I know)! In a smaller bowl, mix the sugar with the oil until well mixed, then add the vanilla and the water and mix well. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry until just mixed.

Drop by the spoonful onto cookie sheets. This should make 24 cookies, or 12 per cookie sheet. Bake for 5 minutes, then rotate the pan 180 degrees and move the top cookie sheet to the bottom and the bottom to the top so they cook evenly. (Don't actually flip the cookies themselves, just the pans in the oven). Bake another 5 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. I now have air-bake cookie sheets, so I've had to increase the baking time to 14 minutes total, rather than 10 minutes.

*I rarely use all white flour for the cookies. You can really experiment with the type of flour you use to make the cookies the way you like them. We prefer ours with a little whole wheat flour, so I usually use 1/2 cup whole wheat flour and 1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour. When we have ground flax, I will put in 1/4 cup flax, 1/4 cup whole wheat flour, and 1 1/2 cups unbleached flour.

**To make the cookies chewier, you can increase the amount of water. I've found that by adding 2 Tbsp. or so, it makes them much chewier. Also, if you use any amount of whole wheat flour or flax, you'll need to increase the amount of water or they'll be too dry. I don't have exact measurements for the amount of water I use, since I make them so often I don't need to measure anymore.

1 comment:

Billie Jo Henson said...

I would be one of those no vegan Happy Vegan COOKIE lovers! I saw this and I miss those cookies! I can not even count how many of those I have ate at your house :) Maybe I should try making them myself (they wont be as good)!