Tuesday, February 22, 2011

5K

I'm running my very first 5K in April. I'm really excited, and just a little nervous too. My goal is to finish, and my next goal is to finish in under 30 minutes. Not very ambitious goals, but hey, its my first 5k and I'll be very lucky if I reach either of my goals.

A 5K doesn't really seem like that far to run, especially for those of you running half-marathons and marathons, but when you haven't run in years, its more difficult than it sounds. I'm not sure I knew what I was getting myself into when I decided to try this, but so far I am enjoying it. I've been thinking about running for years, but after breaking my heel two years ago, it just has not been possible.


Where you see purple is basically where my foot broke, and even today, if I touch my foot there it is just a bit sore. I started running in January, trying the Couch to 5K running program, which I found thanks to Mrs. Fisher's Findings. Some weeks were very easy, but I've been taking it really slow, taking 1 1/2 to 2 weeks to complete each week of training. Even though I've been running for 8 weeks now, I'm just finishing up week 5 this week. But my foot is holding up really well, and that was what I was most concerned about, so taking it slow has worked out really well for me.

I'd really like to run a 10k or half-marathon, maybe later this fall or next year, so if you know of any great races around the area this fall, let me know!

5 comments:

Maggi said...

Are you doing the 5k in champaign on April 29? I'm running the half marathon on the 30th.
I think being under 30 minutes is a great goal. My first 5k, I had the same goal. I finished in about 29:30 and I had to walk 2 times.
Good luck!

Stephanie said...

I'm running the 5k in Champaign. Maybe next year I'll be ready for the half marathon, who knows. Or it may take me years! Its hard to find time to run with Alex still being little,so the 30 minutes of training for the 5k works out great for now. But if he makes it to preschool this fall I may have a little more free time. Good luck on the half!

mrs. fisher's findings said...

Way to go Stephanie! Isn't it so rewarding to be running? I haven't done it in awhile because of the weather, but I'm looking forward to starting again when the weather warms up. Good luck on your race!

hallie said...

Good for you! You'll do SO well.

Billie Jo Henson said...

Great job Steph, good goals and you and I both know you can do anything you set your mind too :)