Sunday, November 7, 2010

Sweater weather

Sweater weather is here - maybe even winter coat weather some mornings. I'm not thrilled about the colder weather, but what can you do when you live in central Illinois?

I saw this book a few months ago and knew I had to have it. Had to. I loved everything in the book, and the book itself has gorgeous photos. Of course the minute I got the book home, somebody knocked over a glass of water all over my new book. Of course! But it was just water, whew! It doesn't look quite the same now, but I can still use it. The book is written for those living and crocheting in England, and possibly other countries. I never knew that a DC(double crochet) there is the same as a SC(single crochet) here. I'm sure most of you don't know any crochet stitches, but there is a big difference. Still, it was easy to remember the difference and I crocheted up this summer sweater. It took me almost 3 months, not because of the difficulty, just because of the yarn. I used the yarn suggested, Rowan Cotton Glace, and I could not find it anywhere locally. I had to purchase it online, and just when I was about finished, I ran out and had to buy more.


Faye has been asking me to crochet her a sweater for awhile now. I'm just so leery about making clothes, but I guess I'll give it a try. I decided to make a small sweater Alex's size first and see how it turns out. If I screw it up big time, at least I haven't wasted as much time or yarn. This took me about 3 days.


Andy helped me find some buttons - they are my favorite part! Little gingerbread boys!


We're about 99% sure that Alex will never put this on, or if we make him it will be a screaming/kicking/hitting match, but I do really like it. Andy thought the color was a little girly for a boy. I completely agree - I should have gone with the blue. I do think though that Faye would love it if I made one for her in lavender or white, with some cute girly buttons. Or I may keep searching for something else.

4 comments:

jadon said...

wow, thats amazing. I might have to put in an order for some new duds.

River Glorious said...

Very good job on the sweater.

Stephanie said...

Thanks!

Billie Jo Henson said...

Very good job! Im sure Faye would sport anything her mom made for her, especially if its her fav. color :) The blanket you made Colton has been used on him every night for well almost 16 months and its holding up great!