Sunday, November 28, 2010

Pumpkin Oatmeal

We woke up late this morning(for those of you without kids, late is about 8am), so rather than have breakfast we decided to cook up a vegan brunch. I LOVE mornings when the kids sleep in! I've been wanting to try a new breakfast recipe for a couple weeks, since stumbling upon something similar in a blog. I don't remember where it was, but it was so cute. Oatmeal cooked right inside a pie pumpkin!

Andy scooped out the seeds, and I mixed up some stuff - oatmeal, chopped almonds, cinnamon, brown sugar, a little bit of butter, applesauce, and then I added enough Almond milk till it seemed the right consistency. I scooped in into the pie pumpkin, sprinkled it with a little more brown sugar, and baked it with the lid on for about 45 minutes. It was awesome, and I usually don't even like oatmeal! It probably could have used a little more liquid, but hopefully next time I'll remember that. Faye and Drew both liked it too, and they usually don't eat oatmeal. We used our last pie pumpkin, but I think it would be good cooked in a casserole dish as well.


We also had homemade biscuits, tofu scramble, and potatoes. YUM! I wish we could have a vegan brunch every day - then maybe I'd actually eat breakfast!

2 comments:

mrs. fisher's findings said...

That looks amazing! Did you eat some of the pumpkin too?

Stephanie said...

You can scoop some of the pumpkin off the sides in with your oatmeal. It really was good! For all 5 of us, we really needed to have at least 2 pumpkins filled with oatmeal - one was just not enough. But since I wasn't sure how it would turn out or if anyone would like it, I didn't worry about getting another pumpkin. But next time I will!