Saturday, October 23, 2010

What was I thinking??

I made a trip to the fabric store a few weeks ago during a sale, and found, for 90 cents, a Tinkerbell costume pattern. Faye has been telling me that for Halloween she wants to be Tinkerbell, so I figured, hey, why not make it?

So I bought the pattern and brought it home, already nervous about making a costume. Then I started reading the instructions, and I got even more nervous. It sounded really complicated. I finally decided to purchase the fabric, 2 1/2 yards of satin, 2 yards of organza, and 4 yards of tulle. She told me she did not want it to be green, so I found some purple fabric. Perfect! I've never sewn with any of these fabrics, but hey, how hard can it be? I read online how to sew satin, and every site I visited said something different - use a small needle, use a ball point needle, use a bigger needle, etc. What? What did I get myself into? I cut out all the fabric, but I waited nearly a week before I began to sew. Yep, I was that nervous!

It turned out pretty well for me I think - and Faye loves it, although she did tell me that even if she didn't like it, she wouldn't tell me. Ha! It was a lot of work - next year if I decide to make costumes, I'm starting in August.

The front view
The back and belt

Another back view

And here she is.... so cute!

I could have made the wings, but I was starting to run a little short on time, so we found these wings and wand at Wal-Mart for $5. They are not quite what I wanted, the color is a little off, but oh, it still looks cute.

No comments: