Thursday, October 14, 2010

Tofu shopping

Alex and I went tofu shopping this morning (and in case you don't already know it, tofu is my favorite food). I usually only buy tofu about once a month, because it means a trip to the Asian grocery store. It's not that I don't like the Asian grocery stores, although every one I've been in does have a strange smell, its just that I'm a little uncomfortable there. I don't read any Japanese, Chinese, or Korean, so I have a hard time figuring out what I'm actually buying, other than the tofu, miso, and soy sauce. And sometimes even those items don't have any English on them so I'm not 100 % sure what I'm buying.

My favorite store in town is Am-Ko - they are usually really friendly and helpful and don't give me strange looks when I come in and buy a cart full of tofu (I think I bought 8 pkgs today). They sell a package of tofu (non-gmo of course) for $1.29, and organic tofu for $1.79, and sometimes they have awesome sales. The exact same brand sells at Schnucks for almost $4, so yeah, we're going to the Asian grocery store!

There are so many interesting things packed into this little store - I love finding new things to try! Alex found this today at Am-Ko, a Japanese Thomas candy. I usually don't look at the candy, but this one caught his eye...


I had no idea what it was, so I asked, and I was told it was a chewy grape candy, like gum but not gum, with no sugar or meat. Hopefully that was right! Anyone read Japanese? Each stick is wrapped with a Thomas picture and they are really cute. Alex was thrilled with this find today!

1 comment:

Billie Jo Henson said...

MMM makes me think about that awesome Banana Tofu Pie you make!