Tuesday, September 14, 2010

No sleep yet...

How can it be that Alex is two years old and still rarely sleeps through the night? How? He's just one of those kids I guess - a little like me. I've heard that I was not a good sleeper as a small child either, and well, I'm still not. I'm too busy to sleep. There are too many things I want to get done and I'm just not that tired! But I do need some sleep.

Last night I of course didn't go to bed like I should have, I stayed up until almost 1am,which is very typical. Alex woke up around that time and came into our room and climbed into our bed. I tried to get him back to sleep, which he was partially, but he was rolling around, hitting me in the face and kicking. He does this almost every night, although sometimes it is later. I'd finally had enough, so I snuck downstairs to sleep on the couch. A little while later I heard some noises, and here is Alex on the top of the stairs crying, "mommy, where you at? mommy?" It was so sad, nearly made me cry, but I stayed put and let Andy take care of it, which eventually he did.

The second he woke up he also came downstairs looking for me, and not finding me once again started crying, "mommy, where you at mommy?" Awww... he's such a momma's boy, but still. Someday I have to get some sleep. I've been going on 4 or 5 hours a night, with some nights even much less since the kids started school, and I'm starting to get a little cranky. Ideas anyone? I just don't know what to do with this kid.

I thought that maybe he'd be a little upset with the kids in school all day, but he loves spending all day with me. He also loves that he can get into Faye and Drew's things without them yelling at him....

Putting on Faye's jewelry

And when he's done playing he actually puts everything away neatly.

2 comments:

mrs. fisher's findings said...

Wow, that is a hard situation to deal with. For one thing, you want your kid to feel comfortable and safe, while on the other hand YOU need your sleep to in order to function well the next day.

I would suggest (if he sleeps in your room every night) putting a small mattress at the foot of your bed for him. But I would also strongly suggest not leaving it there for weeks at a time, because you need your alone time with your husband.

Maybe you could sit down with him and have a heart to heart conversation about how mommy needs her sleep as well as he does.

Try checking out some books at the library on this issue too, it might be more helpful than I.

Good Luck!

Stephanie said...

Thanks! I have talked about it several times with him, how he's a big boy now and sleeps in his own big boy bed, and how I can't sleep when he's all wiggly in our bed, but when he wakes up he still comes in and climbs in our bed. Many times I don't even hear him, which is the biggest problem because then I can't try to put him back in his own bed. I will definitely look at the library for some books on this - my other kids never did this, at least not when they were 2!