Wednesday, July 14, 2010

some of my favorites

I haven't had any time for making things lately, and it was really getting me down. I'm not great at sewing, but sewing(or is it the fabric shopping?) really seems to improve my mood. I guess it is because it gives me a purpose, rather than just being the laundry person/chauffeur/cook. I took the kids to the fabric store yesterday to pick out some fabric for my latest project - cloth napkins for the kids lunchboxes. I have a small but growing stash of fabric at home, but I thought it would be nice to have them choose something they liked. I usually have to fabric shop without the kids, or they complain and whine non-stop, "mom, are you done yet? I'm soooooo tired." I hope that in taking them and letting them shop for fabric they want that eventually they will also enjoy it, or at least not act like I am torturing them. I know... not too likely, but I can dream.

They seemed to have fun picking something out, and then as soon as they decided we quickly left so I didn't annoy them too much.

The napkins were simple to make and are huge napkins. I LOVE them and had so much fun making them! They are probably larger than necessary, but better to be big than too small, especially with messy kids. I got two fat quarters of each material they chose and 1 pkg of rick rack each. The hardest part was pinning the rick rack just right between the two layers of fabric before sewing. It took some time, but they turned out well. Now I need to make at least 2 more for each kid, so I don't have to wash them every day. I desperately need to make some for home use too, as the napkins we use we got for a wedding present, 8 1/2 years ago. We don't use any disposable napkins anymore, haven't for at least 3 years if not more, so they are worn out!

Baseballs for Drew... the napkins are folded in half and then folded in thirds in the photo.



Butterflies for Faye....



And later today.....



Cookies! I finally got a cookie press( I call it my cookie gun) for my birthday. Thanks Mom! I've wanted one forever and for some reason I just never bought one. The kids wanted to make cookies today and this worked perfectly for them. They had a lot of fun choosing shapes and making the cookies - and then eating them of course.

Buttery sugar cookies are probably my favorite. I have to veganize everything, so here is what I used today and it turned out really awesome. Why more people don't use egg replacer is beyond me. You can buy a huge box/bag for around $6, you don't have to run to the store to buy eggs when you want to bake something, and you can safely eat the cookie dough! Nothing better than that!

1 c. butter ( we use earth balance)
1 c. powdered sugar
egg replacer equal to one egg
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
baby hand full of salt or about 1/2 tsp.

You beat the 1st two ingredients together, then add the next two and mix, then add the last two and mix well. Put in your cookie gun and get shooting! Bake at 375 for about 7 minutes.

2 comments:

Kristy said...

wow, i've never heard of egg replacer. where do you get it...that is brilliant!

Stephanie said...

We usually use Ener-G egg replacer. (http://www.vitacost.com/Ener-G-Egg-Replacer-trade?csrc=PPCADWLT-ener-g_egg_replacer&mtp=shr4qAq9Y|pcrid|4293037901) I buy it at the IGA in the natural/health food section. Right now we have Bob Mills egg replacer. I think Andy bought it at either Meijer or Schnucks. You can probably find it in the baking aisle or natural food area.