Sunday, July 25, 2010

A nice day

We've had some really nasty weather here the past week or so, with temperatures well over 90 degrees and lots of rain. But finally it stormed last night and brought some cooler temperatures, for a couple days at least. We've also had a stressful couple of weeks here (more to come on that later), but today we've had a really nice day. Finally. We really really needed it. We slept in, well, as much as you can sleep in with 3 little ones, but I think it was past 8am before we were all out of bed. I made blueberry muffins with some fresh blueberries I picked up the day before, and we all sat down to watch the final stage of the Tour de France. Well, Andy and I did. The kids watched for a little bit, then ran around the house getting out all their toys. But they were playing and having a good time, letting me watch my absolute favorite sporting event, so I didn't mind the toy mess. And by the way thank you to my wonderful husband who each year for my birthday buys me live and on demand coverage of the Tour de France, so I can watch it whenever I want!

After lunch Andy drove Alex around so he could take his nap, and Andy and Faye headed out to paint our garage. We've been working on this for at least 3 years now. You can see how motivated we are, right? The first year we got one side done, the 2nd year we did two sides, and now finally we have almost finished the last side. We scraped and scraped and painted one coat last weekend, but then it rained so we couldn't get it finished. Faye didn't help for long today, it was too buggy for her, so Andy has been out there all by himself. We just have the trim to paint, and it will be done. Such a relief! It has taken us so long, we probably need to repaint the other sides again, but I am done. If it needs more work in the future, we're just getting a new garage. Seriously.



I planned on helping paint, but I needed to do something with our tomatoes. We have so many, and I hate to see them go to waste. We have lots and lots more that will be ripe in the next few days and weeks, as I only pick the very ripest tomatoes - the ones that when you touch them they fall off the plant. They are the best!



I decided to make tomato sauce. Sometimes I just wash and chop them and let them simmer for awhile, then put the tomatoes through our food mill. But then I can never tell what the consistency will be like, so I prefer to peel the tomatoes and seed them first. Then I cook them down until they are saucy. It takes awhile, but it is worth it.





I added lots of fresh basil from our garden, along with onions and salt and pepper and let it cook forever. It was good, but the kids didn't really like the consistency. Next time I think I will blend it for them.

1 comment:

mrs. fisher's findings said...

Love all the tomatoes!! Isn't it great growing your own food? :)

So you asked about Target and coupons...our Target here in Champaign has NEVER given me a hassle about using more than one Target and manufacturer coupon. If it does beep, they just type it in for you. They are so nice here. The other day I seriously had about 25 coupons (a huge stack) and they took every one of them.

I was a little nervous going in with so many coupons, because I would hate for them to get upset over it, but they are usually happy to see how much I saved. I'll post a picture later of what all I got there.