Monday, June 7, 2010

My projects

I have a lot of projects I've been working on lately, and with the kids being out of school all last week, not very much time to work on them. The kids spent the weekend at Grandma and Grandpa's house - so I was able to get a lot done, and spend a lot of time relaxing!!

It truly is amazing how much you can get done without the kids around. I often wonder what I did with all that free time before I had kids. My pre-kid life - I have no memory of it really and I can't even imagine what it would be like now, nor do I want that.

Andy and I went out to our favorite restaurant, or one of them anyways, Dos Reales, on Friday night. I'm sure I've mentioned it before. It is a Mexican restaurant and I always get a margarita, and Andy always gets a humongous beer, along with the exact same food every time. The service is so fast, even when they are busy, which they usually are. After we ate, we took Velvet for a walk, and Andy commented, "See how relaxing it would be if we didn't have kids. We could do whatever we want, whenever we want!" Yes, we could I guess, but would we enjoy it as much? I think we truly enjoy and appreciate our time to ourselves more now.

My 1st weekend project - I've been anxious to get started for a few days on this one!

As I was watching TV the other night, I saw a guy crocheting a basket. It was weird, to me anyways, because I never think of crochet as something a guy would do, but he was really great. I've been interested in crocheting with alternative materials, like T-shirts, etc, because we have so much stuff and I'd like to recycle some of it, and this gave me a chance to practice and get an idea of how to get started. I did buy some material to make this basket, and it turned out OK I think, although I needed almost a yard more than estimated. (That could be because I never follow directions exactly and I did end up making my basket a little taller.)

I threw some apples in there, as it was suggested it could be a fruit bowl. Not sure about that, but overall I like the idea of it.







My 2nd project - a booster seat for Alex


Alex has been out of his high chair for a long long time now, but he has a hard time reaching the table when he sits in his chair. We actually just got new chairs a little while back, and he has decided it would be a good place to jab his fork into while sitting there. We freaked out a little about that one - our new chair completely covered in fork marks! I looked through one of my sewing books, One Yard Wonders, and saw a bean bag booster seat, so I've been planning on making this for some time, I just needed to find the time! I'm not a big fan of vinyl or any plastic, but this needed to be something I could just wipe off. I decided to add some ties in the back, because I know my kids, and this would definitely not stay put otherwise.





My 3rd project - I started this about a month ago!

I also had time to work on this afghan I've been crocheting for about the past month. It was going really quickly and then I just didn't have time. I still don't know if I even like it, so some days I give up, and other days I decide, well, I might as well finish it. The colors were what really appealed to me, but I just don't know if I like the big 'rose' in the middle. It still is unfinished, but it is closer to being done.



My last project of the weekend - and probably the best(although not the prettiest)!

As I was reading some blogs recently, I came across a recipe for vegan Ice Cream Balls! Anything interesting about dessert will stick in my head, although I could forget everything else I think. When I woke up Sunday morning, I decided to clean out the refrigerator. I noticed some coconut milk leftover from another recipe earlier in the week, and it all came together right then! Ice Cream Balls!



Using coconut milk adds a really nice flavor to ice cream - definitely something to try, even if you are not vegan. I used a combination of coconut milk, vanilla soy milk, and silken tofu, blended it all and popped it in our ice cream maker. The ice cream turned out really good, but was really soft. I froze it for about 30 minutes, before rolling in ground pecans. I refroze them again until we were ready for dessert. We melted semi-sweet Ghirardelli chocolate chips with a bit of vanilla soy milk for our chocolate dip. It was a huge hit with the kids and something I'll be making again and again, and there are endless possibilities. I am definitely going to look for an ice cream scoop or melon baller or something to shape these a little better. I'm thinking bite sized would be great for the kids! I might try making banana ice cream next time, or using soy yogurt instead of the tofu! Thanks to Your Vegan Mom for this recipe and inspiration!

3 comments:

Maggi said...

you did all of this in one weekend? I've been working on knitting a blanket for my mom for almost a year now. i'm hoping to get it done for winter (not likely). i think you should sell those booster seats - that thing is cute and better looking than any booster seat i've ever seen.

Kristy said...

I can't believe you did all that and used the word "relaxing" to describe your weekend!

I agree with Maggi...can I get one of those booster seats in another year or so?!

Stephanie said...

Thanks! The booster seat was really easy to make, even with my terrible sewing skills. It is far from perfect, but the imperfections hide well.

After you have 3 kids - you have a different idea of relaxing I think!