Monday, June 28, 2010

In the Jungle...

Here are some of the latest pictures of our jungle. I'm not even going to call it a garden anymore. I can only imagine what it will be like in a few more weeks. Our cucumber plants have already reached the top of our trellis, and have given us a fridge full of cucumbers. We'll be making pickles very soon!






As you can see, the kids can walk between the trellises, giving them a good place to hide. They love coming out to the garden and walking between the rows. It scares me sometimes because I can't see them!



I've never grown spinach before, as I read that it can be a more difficult plant. I really love spinach, either raw or cooked, so that tempted me to give it a try this year. I found this red climbing variety which is supposed to do well in the summer heat. It found its way up the trellis all by itself and is almost to the top.



Another new thing I'm trying this year is leeks. I found that I love leeks! I haven't had much luck growing onions, shallots, or green onions, but I'm hoping for the best.



We planted green beans in two areas of our garden this year. We love them and we get beans for most of the summer with this variety - I believe they are Top Crop.



Look at this huge dill growing in the middle of our other patch of beans! There is a reason they call it dill weed.



We decided a couple years back to put our zucchini plants in another location because they take up so much room! So we made another little area just for zucchini, but we added in some basil too this year because I had about 50 basil plants. They are being overtaken of course, but we've had pesto pasta several times already from this basil.



If you've never had broccoli out of a garden you are missing out. It is so so good. I can't even tell you how wonderful it is, you'd just have to try it. We usually plant around 4 plants, and if you have the right variety of broccoli, after you cut it off it will grow more! We end up with broccoli for the entire summer too. You don't want to let it get as big as you see it at the grocery store. It is much much better when it is smaller. This is just about ready to eat.



Also really really good, and not pictured, is brussel sprouts. They get a bad name I know, but if you plant them in your garden at home, and wait until the fall after a couple good frosts, they are delicious. Faye has already been asking for them. I remember we were eating them at Thanksgiving last year!

I planted these flowers in our garden about 3 years ago, and every year they come back. I just love them!



We also have lots and lots of tomatoes, about 20 plants of different varieties, although none of them are turning red yet. We also have carrots, beets, strawberries, mustard greens, arugula - too many to show!

2 comments:

hallie said...

Wow! So great.
Where are the trellises from?
My cucumber is climbing and strangling everything, I think. I tried to make it climb a tomato cage last year, but it wasn't into that, at all. You'll have to let me know how the leeks turn out! I love them, too.

Stephanie said...

Andy made the trellises. He used electrical conduit (?) and a pipe bender or something (You can ask him about it if you are interested in something like that.) Then we bought the netting from Burpee or another garden catalog. It was really cheap and it works really great, but it doesn't look very pretty when the garden is empty. We made them the 1st year and we leave them up all year round, and we've had no problems at all! They are about 6 feet tall, so it works great for really tall vining plants.