Sunday, December 27, 2009

You can wear that to church Grandma!

A couple weeks ago I took the kids to the Crisis Nursery Holiday shop at the Lincoln Square Mall in Urbana. I'm sure everyone is familiar with what it is - although it is probably a little different everywhere. The parents give the kids a certain amount of money and a list (for the younger kids) of who they need to buy presents for, and a helper takes them into the store to help them pick out gifts. This way they can pick out and buy presents for mommy and daddy and the grandparents without anyone knowing what they are getting. And the money benefits the Crisis Nursery.

Faye and Drew were a little reluctant to go in the store without me, but I assured them I would be waiting just outside the door, and they had a ton of volunteers helping so they had one to walk around with them the entire time and ensure they were returned to the correct parent. So in they went and I waited and waited and waited. They had to have been in there for over an hour choosing their gifts. And they were so excited when they came out. I could tell they really wanted to start telling me what they chose, but I reminded them to wait and we would see on Christmas morning.

They both did great keeping secrets - they didn't mention once what they got for me or Andy. They did give us clues what they gave to the grandparents though - Drew kept telling us he got something silly for Grandpa, and Faye told me she got something pretty that Grandma could wear to church. The silly something for Grandpa turned out to be a funny hot dog pen. The something pretty for Grandma to wear to church.....







Well, it is pretty, but I have a feeling it won't be worn to church anytime soon. If you can't see it well, it is a multi colored flower garland with ribbons coming off the back. I could not stop laughing, and I still have trouble not laughing when I think about it. Faye was so serious about it too, which made it even funnier!

I got really great gifts from the kids, some flower shaped measuring spoons from Faye and some really pretty magnets from Drew with some paper. The kids both got Andy a car shaped magnet. It was so much fun to see what they picked out for us! We'll definitely be doing this again next year!

No comments: