Thursday, August 27, 2009

Vacation time!

I am so ready for a vacation!! OK, so I am ready every day for a vacation, but finally we are taking one. We're leaving tomorrow afternoon (hopefully) and driving out to Omaha. It is about an 8 hour trip, but with 3 small kids and a dog, that means the trip is really about 12 hours. I do not look forward to the driving, or riding in the van with all of them. I hate it enough when it is just Andy and I, but add in 3 kids and it is a recipe for disaster. They get restless and whiny, then they fight, then scream and then cry. Then somebody has to go potty so we stop, yet again, 20 minutes after we just stopped. Then they run around and refuse to get back in the car seats, so the 15 minute stop turns into an hour or longer. I can't really blame them, it is a long trip and if I was 4 I would act the same way I'm sure. Usually by the time we get there I feel as if I've spent about a week straight in the van... and the van looks like it too. But we'll hope for the best this trip!! I usually pack a small bag for each kid with toys and coloring books, etc, so they have something to do on the ride. And of course we'll take our mini laptop/DVD player so they can watch some movies.

Hopefully Alex will look something like this on the trip - asleep and content. He actually fell asleep 'talking' on his phone.



We'll stay at my moms for a few days, then we're driving all the way across Nebraska to stay at a cabin at Chadron State Park. (Are we really going to do this with 3 small kids? Andy and I have been asking ourselves this over and over. We must be crazy I guess. Optimistic maybe.) It is supposed to be a nice area, and it is only about 2 hours from Mount Rushmore. So we'll take the kids there one day - I'm really looking forward to that as I haven't been there since I was a small child. It should be an interesting trip.

Preparing for the trip is another whole ordeal. Packing for 3 kids is crazy! Faye and Drew are old enough that they have their own suitcases and can help decide what to take and what they need, but preparing to take a baby or toddler (is he a toddler already now?) is a ton of work. Getting diapers, clothes, portable crib, sippy cups, etc. etc. etc. It is so much work I sometimes wonder if it is even worth it, but hopefully it will be a nice relaxing vacation.



On top of all that, it seems as if our garden exploded cucumbers and tomatoes. I didn't feel right just leaving them to go bad, so we stayed up late last night making pickles and pizza sauce. We eat a lot of pita pizza's when we don't feel like cooking, and pizza sauce seemed like the least amount of work. Although, we had two huge pots cooking so it took forever! So we'll also be starting out tired. Ugh... we'll see how this goes!

No comments: