Friday, February 6, 2009

A no-sleep week here...



What a week we've all had here!! It can only get better I hope! It all started Sunday evening with Andy and I watching the Superbowl. We use MythTV and record everything we watch, so we can pause when we need to - which happens to be quite frequently when you have 3 little kiddos. I made some jalapeno poppers and tofurkey beer brats sauteed in a sweet beer sauce. They were quite tasty, although the kids weren't up for trying anything. Some of the jalapenos were quite hot so that was probably a good thing. Faye did watch part of the game with us, but then decided it would be more fun to play computer games with Drew. We paused at half-time to get the kids ready for bed and then let them watch a movie upstairs in our bedroom. So it was late when we finally finished watching the game. And then we had to watch
The Office. We love that show. It is definitely one of my favorites of all time, right up there with Seinfeld and a few others.

So it was after 12am when we finally went to bed. We both knew we'd be tired on Monday, as Alex still wakes up quite frequently at night. Well, he had just woke up in the swing and started crying. Apparently this woke Drew up and he also started crying. Now this is very unusual, as Faye and Drew are very sound sleepers and can sleep through anything. And they never wake up and cry... But we've all been getting colds again, so maybe he didn't feel very well. Plus they stayed up late watching the movie and playing video games, and we usually don't let them do that either(well, they stay up late but we try to avoid too many games/movies)! So I tried getting Alex back to sleep, but Drew kept crying. We finally got Drew back to sleep, but Alex was so upset by then he just screamed for over an hour and finally fell asleep at 3am I think. And then he was back up again at 4am, and 5am, etc. So basically I was up all night.

Monday morning didn't start out too well either. The dog puked on the floor, the baby was fussy and screaming, and I had one kid in the shower because of a no. 2 all over the bathroom floor and hallway carpet. And this was all within 30 minutes of Andy leaving for work! Things did seem to get a little better the rest of the day, and I was excited to maybe get some sleep that night( it is sad to be excited about sleep). NOPE! This time Faye was the one to be up. The baby of course was not going to bed and at 1am Faye came in our room and said her ear hurt. Well, or course I knew then that she had an ear ache and probably an infection, so I looked for some Tylenol, but nope, nothing around! We tried everything to get her to sleep, hot and cold, letting her sleep in our bed, but she kept crying. So again at 3am, we were up and Andy made a run to Schnucks for some children's Tylenol. This seemed to do the trick and we got her back in her bed and sleeping. Alex of course was up again every hour so no sleep again.

By Wednesday morning I could hardly keep my eyes open and just felt awful and weird from lack of sleep. I couldn't believe that Andy was going to work - we really needed some rest. But off he went at about 10am or so, and I got the kids ready so I could take them to the pediatrician. I didn't even bother to call their doctor, as every other time I've called and one has been sick, they've told me they have an opening next week. OK, they may not be sick in another week. Carle clinic is really a pain - and it is really hard to get appointments. So I took her to Convenient Care and she does in fact have an ear infection in both ears. We got her medicine and it is pink and she loves it and she is now feeling much better. This is the first ear infection and first antibiotic for any of my kids so we have been really lucky until now. Hopefully it will be the last too!

I had Andy run to the store again on Wednesday evening as the kids were having a pizza party at school and we signed up to bring in olives and pineapple. I made sure to tell him which kind to get - sliced olives and pineapple chunks. He did come home with sliced olives, but they were jalapeno. I didn't think it was a good idea to take jalapeno olives to preschool, so we were back at Schnucks again Thursday morning. They must love us!! The kids had a great time at their pizza party.

Alex and I just hung out at home on Thursday morning. He wants to stand all the time now, although he still frequently forgets to hold on, he is getting much better. I left him standing by our coffee table and he managed to walk halfway around it by himself before falling over. He really wants to walk! I thought for sure he'd be crawling by now, but not yet. He is getting closer though!!


We did finally get some sleep last night, although Alex is still waking up all the time. It doesn't matter if he is being held, laying down, or in his swing. He is up every hour!! We have to figure something out soon!

No comments: