Sunday, January 11, 2009

Seitan = Yum!

Lately I've really been into seitan. I've had it before on many occasions, and I was never really impressed until now. I found a great recipe for making 'simple seitan' in our Veganomicon recipe book. Seitan is basically wheat gluten, with a few more ingredients to add some more flavor. Sometimes you may see it at Asian restaurants under the vegetarian section labeled as mock duck. You can also purchase it in the organic/natural food refrigerated section pre-made and ready to use. But it is expensive to buy and really easy to make.

When I've had it in the past, its been OK, but it tastes like what it is, flour. I personally am not a huge fan of eating chewy chunks of flour - just not my thing I guess. But with this simple seitan recipe, it tastes great! I don't taste the flour taste at all! I made seitan cutlets with mustard sauce last night, and BBQ seitan sandwiches a week or two ago. You do have to like mustard to like the sauce, but if you do it is great! And it is not yellow as you might imagine - due to the red wine it is more of a purple color!

The recipe for simple seitan uses 1 cup of vital wheat gluten. If you're into making bread, you'll know what this is. I purchase this at Wal-mart in the baking isle, probably for about $1-$2 a box. Mix this with 3 tablespoons of nutritional yeast(this can also be found in the natural food section). Add 1/2 cup cold veg. broth, 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and 2 cloves of pressed garlic. Mix with a wooden spoon, then knead for a couple minutes and separate into 3 pieces. The seitan then needs to be cooked in a stockpot with 8 cups of veg. broth and 1/4 cup of soy sauce. Bring it to a boil, and once it boils turn the heat to low and simmer for one hour with the lid partially on. Let cool once done and your setian is ready to use!

The first time I made this I sliced mine into thin strips, fried it in olive oil, then placed into a pan with BBQ sauce to marinate. Then we fried them again.. and made sandwiches. Yum! Not the healthiest of meals, but definitely yummy! Plus being vegan, we don't eat a whole lot of fat, so we have to make sure we get enough somehow! This is a good way!

No comments: