Sunday, December 28, 2008

Go Vegan

We've been vegan now for 4 1/2 years, and I don' t see that ever changing. It was actually Andy's idea to become vegan, which is surprising to some people, as he was a huge meat eater. I was never a huge fan, and I was actually vegetarian for about a year in college. But one day while I was in the hospital, pregnant and on bed rest with Faye and Drew, he came in and told me he was going to be vegan now. He watched a show on factory farming, then did some research on the Internet, and he decided that was it!! I didn't have a problem with that. My only thoughts were,"no more M&M's?"

I was reading Reader's Digest the other day, and came across an interesting article. It was about a guy who started a 'simple till six' diet, which basically means he ate vegan until 6pm and also didn't eat any simple carbs either(white flour products or sugary junk food). At dinner he ate his regular meal. He felt better, lost a ton of weight, and solved his blood sugar and cholesterol problems. Go VEGAN!!


There were also a few statistics from Animal Planet about the consumption of animals. They say that eating a steak dinner for a family of 4 is the energy equivalent of turning on every light in your house and driving around in your SUV for 3 hours. Does that make sense to anybody? Consuming animals is not good for your body or for the environment.
There are tons more facts about why going vegan is good for you and the environment - I don't have time to list them now, but I"m sure I'll add some more later. Go Vegan for a week or a month (or forever), and see how you feel. I bet you'll lose weight, feel better, and have lots more energy!!!


We don't eat carrot sticks and celery for dinner- buy a vegan cookbook or borrow one from the library. You might be surprised at what you find inside! We had BBQ seitan sandwiches with coleslaw and lemony potatoes for dinner. Yum Yum!!

No comments: