Saturday, November 29, 2008

Thanksgiving day deer

No, we didn't eat a deer on Thanksgiving, but I hit one. I think this is the first time I myself have hit a deer. I've been in the car before when somebody else has hit one, but this is my first.

We decided to drive over to Andy's parents house on Thanksgiving afternoon; we had dinner and took showers. I made a Gluten roast in the slow cooker, although we didn't have any seitan so it wasn't that interesting. I hadn't planned on taking it anywhere, but then Andy said it would be awhile before our bathroom was finished, so we should drive over. So off we went. The kids had a good time at Grandma and Grandpa's, but it was getting late so we headed home. Andy was driving, but he was getting really tired as he'd been working all day on our bathroom. He pulled over in LeRoy so I could drive. I had passed another car awhile back, and was heading back into the right lane, when Bam! There it was! I turned my head for 1 second to look behind me and there was a huge deer in the right lane. I swerved just in time to avoid a major crash I think. We did end up with 2 dents in our van (no big deal - we drive a really old van), and a broken passenger side mirror. We'll have to have that replaced, but otherwise no major problems for us. I don't know what happened to the deer though! I felt so bad all the way home. I don't think I killed it right then, but it had to be hurting.

Andy had just fallen asleep when I hit the deer, and he woke up and yelled, "Are you awake Steph?" So I pulled over and explained what had happened and he got out and surveyed the damage. The lady behind us was nice enough to also pull over and ask if we were all OK. We made it home OK after that, but it was a little scary!

1 comment:

Bri said...

Thank goodness you are all ok!! I have never hit a deer, but I am sure it's going to happen some day living in a rural area!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your lovely family!